Tuesday, October 26, 2010

New Happenings and Granny Pat

Ruby has become so affectionate lately. She was always a cuddle-bug but she has taken her lovey-doveyness to a whole new level of late. She is obsessed with giving us all kisses at random and better yet she has to make sure that she kisses everyone equally. For example: Ruby, my mom, sister, nephew, and myself were out running errands the other day and she wanted to give my mom a kiss. Then she had to lean over to each of us to give the rest of us one too...even little Ronan. She is such a peach. She still loves hugging her books, all animals, and has even started to hug a few select people that she really likes. It's so wonderful to see her enjoying other people. She's really been making wonderful progress socially.

Snuggling with Granny...Ronan's in on the cuddles too

She's still working on tasting things. Some days are better than others on this front. Today was not one of those days but I'm sure another good day will come along soon. Ruby has started to become mildly interested in art materials...which of course I am over the moon about! She still wants to eat the crayons more than draw with them, but she is getting the idea of making marks. I've already run out and bought her a sketch book :P She is still not walking but is cruising like mad. Dan and I are noticing that she does not cry much anymore. She's a pretty happy kid these days. Fussing mostly when she's overtired but basically she's just loving life and we are loving sharing it with her.

In less Ruby related news, Dan has resigned from the company that he's spent the last 9 1/2 years of his life with. He's been with them since we started dating so it's a bit scary but also very exciting! He'll be working from home which is wonderful because it means he'll get to spend more time with Ruby and me. And I'm loving the fact that we'll be able to stay in bed a bit longer in the morning :)

Ruby in her knit hat

I've also decided to take up knitting again. I haven't knitted a thing since my Granny died 6+ years ago. She taught me how as an adolescent and it's just something I can't do without thinking of her. I miss her so much. People say that it gets better with time but it really doesn't. You just get used to it feeling awful. I wish she were here to see Ruby and cuddle her up. How can I even write about her? She was so many wonderful things.

I know this list won't mean anything to most of you but this was my Granny: Grilled cheese and omelets. The GoodNight Book and Richard Scarry. Forget-me-nots and poppies. Candlesticks and records. Shag carpeting and candy dishes. Kick ball and walks to the park. Christmas socks and ponchos. Handkerchiefs and hot water bottles. Honeydip Donuts and Trudy's. Yelling at Chuta but really loving her. Knitting and sewing. Scones and Turkish Delights. Bath time and Ivory soap. Weeble-Wobbles and toy trains. Writing letters and reading the paper. Cowboys and Indians. Cuddling on the couch and singing songs. See you later alligator and after while crocodile. Pond's face cream and baby powder. Bingo and CandyLand. Louis Armstrong and John Denver. Perfect Christmas dinners and pizza cut up in squares. Beds that were always perfectly made and counters without a single crumb on them. Bath robes and knit booties. Always listening to my stories and making me something to eat. Loving me so unconditionally you wouldn't believe it. And just about a million other things that helped to shape my childhood into the type you read about in nostalgic old novels. God I miss her so much. I love you Granny.

Granny, Granddad, Casey, and Me

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your Granny Pat. She was a sweetheart & we all love & miss her.

    ReplyDelete