Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NICU Memory

Just a little post tonight. Ruby had a playdate with a couple of her heart buddies today. While there, we mamas started swapping hospital stories and I recalled how we used to get my sister to see little Rubes. The NICU has a strict visitation policy. Only Dan and I, and our parents, were allowed to see Ruby for the first 4 1/2 months of her life. My sister had seen her at her birth and for one visit when she came home for her 2 day stint at 2 months old. This, of course, was heart breaking for her and for me.

Meeting her Auntie for the first time since birth

When we were back in the NICU and had FINALLY gotten a "window seat" we devised a way for Casey (my sis) to see Ruby. There is a waiting area just outside the NICU that is perpendicular to the main hall of the wing. So basically, if you are in the waiting area you can look out of the window and see into a few of the NICU rooms. At night, if you turn on the lights in the NICU and turn off the lights in the waiting room, you can see in pretty clearly. When we figured this out Casey used to come by and we'd hold little Ruby as close as we could to the window (as far as her leads and various wires would stretch) and she'd be able to see her niece. It was so sweet...and sad.

Anyway, I'm glad they get to spend so much time together now. It took months of consistent weekly visits for Ruby to get so close to her, but all that devotion paid off! Now when we pull up to her Auntie's house Ruby squeals and points with anticipation...she just loves her Auntie Casey :)

I LOVE this pic! I need a new one of them though, because Casey is quite pregnant here!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. The pic of the two of them together on the couch is sweet.

    ReplyDelete